When you pack for a move you should be aware that improper packing is the most common cause of breakage. Your movers will most likely shrink wrap and pad large items, but if you are packing the small items yourself here are some things to consider.
- Use strong, corrugated cartons with tops or flaps that fold shut
- If you use old newspapers for packing, ink may rub off and stain items
- Pack a couple of cartons a day & start well ahead of the move
- Pack one room at a time
- Mark boxes with room name and box number. Record these on a log (boxes do get lost in transit)
- Don’t overpack boxes with heavy items (50 lbs. per box maximum)
Pack for a Move Shopping List:
- Plastic bags for parts
- Black felt pen for marking
- Foam peanuts to fill spaces
- Tissue and kraft paper for wrapping
- Corrugated paper rolls for fragile pieces
- Heavy-duty packing tape (1.5″ to 2″ wide) for sealing cartons. Do not use duct tape or masking tape.
- Notebook and pencil for logging cartons
- Scissors, sharp knife or both